Skateboarding has been on my thoughts for many years. Although I began skateboarding after I was 9 years previous (and cherished it then), I finished after a few years as a result of none of my buddies may skate. For a lot of, a few years, I didn’t know the best way to get again into it, and I regretted all that misplaced time. I didn’t know I had ADHD till I used to be in my late 20s (I’m in my 40s now), however, on reflection, I see how my ADHD mind was caught on determining the place to start and the best way to simply “do the factor.”
I discovered my means again to skateboarding in 2020. In the course of the pandemic, my husband determined he wished to study to skateboard. Then our daughter acquired into it. Then our son. So our household hit the skateparks.
That’s how I discovered Telma and Wealthy and the Later Skaters Gang, an grownup skate motion that began in Toronto (the place I dwell) and is now world. Oorbee Roy, who has change into a TikTok sensation as “Aunty Skates,” is one other Later Skater buddy of mine. At 47, she drops into big bowls and shreds her yard mini ramp, typically whereas carrying a sari.
At 43, I’m ecstatic to be skating once more. Not simply because it’s a enjoyable approach to train, however as a result of it’s extremely therapeutic.
9 Methods Skateboarding Steadies My ADHD Mind
1. Regular dopamine hits preserve me motivated. Skating forces me to decide on one small purpose to attain and rejoice at a time. The dopamine rush I get after I land a trick retains me motivated and targeted on the subsequent step.
[Get This Free Download: 15 Health and Fitness Tips to Target ADHD Symptoms]
2. There are serotonin hits, too. Skating outside within the contemporary air and daylight provides me a lift of serotonin and uplifts my temper.
3. I relish the endorphin launch. The bodily act of using round on my skateboard releases feel-good hormones that cut back stress and even present ache aid for my joints.
4. I work out my cerebellum. I’m not pulling off kickflips or carving large bowls but. However I’m bettering my steadiness and management over the board, which works out my cerebellum. A stronger cerebellum may end up in improved consideration, focus, and emotional management.
5. I’m creating friendships and strengthening connections. I attempt to be part of as many Later Skater meetups as I can. I get a launch of oxytocin as I bond with this constructive neighborhood of skaters. They remind me that all of us battle damaging self-talk and psychological blocks. And so they cheer me on and provide suggestions to assist me progress. It’s means simpler to remain motivated and constant after I’m having a blast on my board with buddies.
[Read: How to Make Friends as an Adult — A Guide for Women with ADHD]
6. I get to expertise a wholesome adrenaline rush. Like many individuals with ADHD, I’m drawn to danger and pleasure. And skateboarding brings the suitable stage of thrill-seeking. I’ll fall as I preserve skateboarding. However studying the best way to fall safely provides me the braveness to maintain progressing to the subsequent stage.
7. I could be artistic. After I’m on my skateboard, I’m making artistic selections and carving my very own path. It’s exhilarating to juggle so many prospects.
8. I can hyperfocus. We’ve gone so far as to have a mini ramp inbuilt our basement so we will skateboard at residence. I used to be nervous we wouldn’t use it sufficient, however we do, and we’ve invited a couple of Later Skater buddies over for classes. (Thanks, Pete, for serving to me with rock to fakies and tail stalls!)
9. I get caught — and unstuck. Skateboarding has helped me bodily, mentally, and socially. However even with all the great, and after making so many new skate buddies, I typically nonetheless really feel caught — in my head or previously. I’ll be totally padded and skating across the park a bit, solely to cease and watch everybody else shred. When this occurs, I give myself a jolt. What’s the Later Skaters Gang about? “Irrespective of the age or talent stage, it’s all about little wins, a love of skateboarding and having enjoyable.”
It’s By no means Too Late — for Skateboarding or Something Else
Regardless of my hiatus from skateboarding, the game by no means actually ended up in my graveyard of deserted pursuits. It won’t be buried alongside bowling, stamp gathering, and Mid-century fashionable furnishings restoration.
I by no means imagined I’d be spending my 40s connecting with folks from all around the world who share a love for skateboarding. However right here I’m. I even acquired to look in an epic video by Later Skaters Gang known as These Are the Moments, that includes 120 skaters and their skate clips from 2022. There I’m for a few seconds, making an attempt a 50-50 on a little bit ramp on the skatepark. May not appear like a lot, nevertheless it was a private win for me. And a reminder to get pleasure from all of the little moments, to only preserve pushing.
Imagine me, it’s by no means too late to skate — or to search out what helps you thrive. As my Aunty Skates T-shirt jogs my memory: “It’s by no means too late to dwell your greatest life!”
Skateboarding, Wellbeing, and ADHD: Subsequent Steps
Myra is a spouse, mom, and instructor from Toronto who likes to write about #theBIGinSmallThings. When she’s not looking for her keys or pockets, Myra loves ingesting bubble tea and skateboarding along with her household.
Thanks for studying ADDitude. To assist our mission of offering ADHD training and assist, please consider subscribing. Your readership and assist assist make our content material and outreach potential. Thanks.